Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Boot Camp Style Circuit Workout

I am so glad that I signed up for boot camp two days a week after work.  We just kicked off our second session today, and it was a great way to start my fall break!

I have enjoyed spending extra time with my coworkers, and I am pushing myself much more than I ever would on my own.  The workouts have been super challenging for everyone, but it feels great afterwards.  And, the best thing is, since we workout immediately after school is over, we are totally done for the day at 4:00.  That leaves the whole evening wide open to do whatever my heart desires!

Here is some of our fun gang...sorry for the blurry picture!
The boot camp workouts have been different every time, but they usually follow a similar pattern.  We start out with some sort of warm-up - often times a series of toe-touch jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, and other basic exercises.

Then, we complete two rounds of a circuit that our trainer, Tyler, creates.  There are usually 6 to 8 different stations that combine all sorts of strength exercises and cardio.  We go about 40 seconds at each station, and there is no rest in between.  It is go, go, go!

After the first two round are complete, we take a quick water break and do 5 minutes or so of something intense, like sprints, burpees, bear crawls across the gym, walking lunges, etc.

Then, we go back to the circuit for two more rounds, and this time we usually do 50 seconds at each station instead of 40.  These last two rounds are TOUGH, but Tyler insists that that is where you really gain muscle and make improvements.

The only equipment we use are some yoga mats, weights, and occasionally an exercise ball.  Although I definitely prefer the class setting, all of the workouts would totally be doable at home.

Based on the some of the moves we have been doing at boot camp, I created this circuit workout that can be done just about anywhere.  It would even work in a hotel room if you are traveling.  I plan to try it out over break!  See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and questions! Thanks for stopping by!