Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pumpkin Banana Bean Bars

Hello everyone!  Hope you are having a great weekend!  We kicked off the weekend early at a trivia night to raise money for the Oklahoma Children's Hospital on Thursday.  Our table may not have won first place, but we had a great time!
The rest of the weekend has been pretty laid back so far.  I did some shopping yesterday and couldn't resist picking up a few new holiday decorations.  This is our first year in this house, and my head is spinning with ideas.  I can't wait to decorate!

I also made a yummy new recipe that I saw in a "Forks Over Knives" newsletter for pumpkin bean bars.  They are vegan, gluten free, and full of plant-based ingredients.  It does feel a little strange dumping a whole can of beans into a dessert, but I promise you will not taste them at all!
Pumpkin Banana Bean Bars
Serves 9
Ingredients:
• 15 ounces white beans (I used Great Northern)
• ½ cup canned pure pumpkin
• 2 whole bananas
• 3½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I just used cinnamon)
• ¼ cup pure maple syrup
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons peanut butter
• ½ cup instant oats
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Drain and rinse beans. Combine all ingredients except oats in a food processor, blending until smooth and creamy. Stir in oats then transfer to a square baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the center is firm to the touch. Allow to completely cool before slicing or eating (the bars firm as they cool). The pumpkin flavor also intensifies the next day (make in advanced if possible).
Note: If you only have rolled oats, send them through your food processor first to chop them up so they are smaller and more granulated like instant oats.
I also added about a half cup of chocolate chips, making them even more delicious! These bars would be a much healthier option to bring along to an upcoming Thanksgiving dinner...I would eat one over pumpkin pie any day!

I'm off to enjoy a lazy Sunday morning before heading to a baby shower brunch and then hitting the grocery store. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and questions! Thanks for stopping by!